Keep Christmas Focused on Jesus
Christmas is coming quickly! We are only 24 days away. Over the next 3 weeks, we as parents have an opportunity to help our families make this holiday about Jesus. Don’t get me wrong, I’m all about Christmas music, cookies, gifts and hot cocoa, but that can easily become the focus instead of Jesus. Here are some ways you can keep Jesus front and center this year.
1. Make a Jesse Tree
- A Jesse Tree is a way of preparing for Christmas by reading stories about people in Jesus' family tree. Typically, you’d read a story about one of his descendants, then put an ornament on a tree or tree-like structure as a way to remember how God prepared the way throughout history for Jesus to come. My favorite Jesse Tree package is by Ann Voskamp. It’s a combination devotional, advent calendar and Jesse Tree.
- You can also use the Jesus Storybook Bible and this guide to help you read about those in Jesus’ family. There are ornaments to hang and a soundtrack to accompany your reading as well.
2. Watch Christmas shows that point to Jesus
- Big Questions about Christmas - This is a 12-part series of 5-minute episodes that answer questions about Christmas like; Why do we have Christmas trees? Who is St. Nicholas? When was Jesus born?... and more! This would be a good nightly routine that includes a prayer time at the end of each one. Sign up for a free subscription for Right Now Media if you don’t have one yet.
- The Chosen Christmas Special – Watch a 30 minute special reenacting the shepherd's experience seeing Jesus for the first time.
3. Serving Opportunities
- Ideas for serving your own family – Here is a list of ways kids can serve their families this Christmas season. You can cut out each one, put it in a jar and have the kids pick one out.
- Ideas for serving as a family – Here is another list of ways you and your kids can serve your neighbors and friends this Christmas season.
Have a great Christmas!